Obverse: A six pointed star, in the centre of which is the Royal Cypher surmounted by a crown superimposed on a circlet that bears the words "THE ARCTIC STAR".
Size: 38mm across and 50mm from the bottom point of the star to the top of the eyelet.
Ribbon: 32mm wide. The ribbon has the colours light blue, dark blue, red, white and black representing the three Armed Services, red for the Merchant Navy, and a central white stripe, edged in black, representing the Arctic.
Suspension: The ribbon passes through a ring which in turn passes through an eyelet formed in the uppermost point of the star.
Instituted in 2013, this bronze star is granted for operational service of any length north of the Arctic Circle (66 degrees, 32'N) from the 3rd September, 1939, to the 8th May, 1945, inclusive. The Arctic Star is intended to commemorate the Arctic Convoys and is designed primarily for the ships of the convoys to North Russia and their Escorts.
Eligibility is defined as follows:
1. Navy and Merchant Navy – Naval and Merchant Navy service anywhere at sea north of the Arctic Circle to include, but not limited exclusively to, those ships participating in, and in support of, Convoys to North Russia. Fleet Air Arm Personnel, not qualified by sea service may qualify under the conditions applying to the Royal Air Force.
2. Air Force – Aircrew of the Royal Air Force will be eligible if they landed north of the Arctic Circle or served in the air over this area. Non aircrew on operational service in the area, for example ground crew or those sailing with CAM ships (Catapult Aircraft Merchant Ships), are also eligible.
3. Army – Army personnel serving in His Majesty's ships or in defensively equipped Merchant ships qualify under the rules applying to the Navy or Merchant Navy. In addition, personnel taking part in land operations north of the Arctic Circle will also be eligible.
4. Civilians serving with the Forces – Members of the few approved categories of civilians who qualify for Campaign Stars will be eligible if, in support of military operations, they meet any of the above qualifying criteria.
5. Foreign nationals commissioned or enlisted into British or, the then, Dominion Forces (e.g. Royal Canadian Navy, Royal Australian Navy) are eligible provided the individuals did not receive a similar award from their own Government.
General - Eligibility to the Arctic Star has no effect upon eligibility for World War Two recognition previously awarded and does not suggest automatic eligibility for any further awards.
Click on thumbnail
for larger image